Saturday, August 7, 2010

You won't get better if you don't practice

What a great day! For one thing, the weather was freakin' perfect! None of this "two billion degrees plus humidex and did I mention rain" nonsense we've been getting lately. Just blue skies, a light breeze, and a mild 22 C. Couldn't ask for better for a trip down to the Market.

Which leads into why I made a trip to the Market (area) in the first place, which was to meet with an artist to get my next tattoo done! W00t! Even better, it's the same artist who did the previous ones, so I'll have consistency.

I've already got two, a petroglyph-style mouse on my tailbone in black, and a set of blue/green flames that encircle my left breast and rise towards my collarbone. So since I've got something that striking on the left, I need to balance that with something on the right, so I'm getting a shoulder piece done for the right side. So my first problem was coming up with the design. Artist I may be, or at least aspiring artist, but designer I'm not. So I enlisted the help of an illustrator friend of mine in Mexico (love the internet) to help me out. Go check out her deviantART page, she's fantastic.

Turned out getting the help was exactly the thing to do. The consult went like a breeze, and the artist is really excited about the prospect of doing this one. She said it's rare to have a client come in with an image so developed as this one, and ready to run with. All it took was discussing a few particulars, getting a measurement of how big an area we're talking about on my body, and that's about it! So I go in on the 16th for my first appointment, and then again on September 1 to finish up with a possible touchup visit in October, and that's the lot. I'll post photos when it's all done, probably sometime in early September, but I don't wanna ruin the surprise before then.

In the meantime, it was such a lovely day, I couldn't resist taking a walk around and sketching as I went. I want to do this a lot through the rest of August, it'll be good to build up the habit of sketching things I see. There are so many cool things out there to record, I doubt I'll run out in a hurry.








No comments: